2/10/10

These Books are meant for Eating:D

Books are for eating and eating is for books... wait.. that makes no sense.... but ya! As already stated I love to read and I love to read sooo much that I want to eat my books! The key word in that sentence is WANT! I'm not some huge fat monster coming to eat paper and covers! I just love the books I read so extremely fantastically much that they're something so good for me I need to eat them to survive...not literally of course. There are also books that NEED to be burned, blown up, rampaged on by gorillas, shot into space, and, for the purpose of this blog, eaten because they are so extremely terrible! My list will consist of six books since I had to include one extra to my original idea of five books, not that you would know that I planned that particular number.

1. The first book I would eat is probably the one I love the most. This book is also on the display picture of my blog. The Lost years of Merlin is such an amazing text (as are the rest of the series which consists of five books total) because of its way to bring someone into its genre. This was the first fantasy book I read and it turned out not to be the last. It's almost seamless transition from normal to mystical, it's new creatures with all of their strange qualities, and its choice of a hero is impeccable!

2. The second book I would eat would be another book I love! I would not eat this book for knowledge or for creative successes, I would eat it because of its amazing storytelling that immerses you so much into it that you feel as if you are watching a high budget movie such as The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King. In fact I would love to eat the entire series, consisting of over 20 books (all of which I have read), because it is not the particular book it is just the author R.A. Salvatore. The book in question I would love to eat would be Homeland but the series it is a part of is called The Legend of Drizzt. This series goes on almost flawlessly throughout with highly descriptive action sequences and events of which all impact the story in a large way whether it be in short term or long term. Due to Salvatore's amazing storytelling skills I read all of this series within 6 months and only during work and an hour before bed every week.

3. My preference in genre, as you can probably note, is fantasy but you do not need to have over the top fantasy in order for it to be a great fantasy book. My next book is a great example of this. It mostly follows a medieval style war in the Middle Eastern setting but there is one bit of magic that it introduces, and that is a magic that is connected by your spirit and the element of nature's spirit you are trying to connect your magic to whether it be air, fire, rock, or water. Hilari Bell's concepts and amazing storylines in Fall of a Kingdom and the rest of the Farsala Trilogy are the farthest thing from cliche.

4. There is also one other form of fantasy. This form is historical fantasy and it is seen in the novel Arthur: The Seeing Stone. The series goes on through a life of a noble during the middle ages named Arthur. It uses so much history to make the characters flare into life and also uses the mythical story of King Arthur to create the fantasy aspect of the story. The Seeing Stone in the books is used to show the story of King Arthur and in so the book accomplished an amazing device especially since it was given by a man named Merlin who is the only person that is seen inside the stone that is from Arthur's real life.

5. Now for two books that are of the category of which need to be eaten since they are so terrible. The first book needs to be eaten because it completely changes an age old legend, but not for the better. Twilight takes the traditional vampire and turns it into a sparkling, loving creature instead of the bloodthirsty killing machines we are used to. It also, in later books, does this to werewolves. This book is the love of all preteens and of those who dislike the traditional telling of what a vampire is since they think it is 'icky'. This book is something that does not teach you to read better, something that has a breathtaking storyline, or something that changes your life in some way. This book is just fluff; crap.

6. The final book is a biography. This book is all about the Montreal Canadiens; a hockey team. That along makes Hundred Years of Glory a terrible book. The Montreal Canadiens are disgusting and so their biography about their 'Hundred Years of Glory' would be as well. A great book though would be about the amazing and beautiful team that is the Toronto Maple Leafs. This final book is eaten only because a friend of mine. You know who you are : P.

-Dave

2 comments:

  1. :facepalm:
    Are you serious? "Homeland" better than "Legacy?" I mean, Bruenor and Entreri aren't even IN "Homeland!"

    Other than that, loving the list, especially the rampant Twilight and Montreal bashing. I liked the words you described each book, you really gave me a sense of the story without giving anything away about the plot itself. The only description that was a bit crazy was your one for "Fall of a Kingdom." Try breaking up your sentences in that one, and reword where you explain about the magic. It was kind of confusing.
    Other than that, way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha... I used the beginning book for every series, and so in other word are not my favourites, but instead are the groundwork for my favourites.

    For Fall of a Kingdom though, I would have to say that the magic in itself is quite confusing to explain. The magic is explained much better by Hilari in her book so if you want to know more... READ THE BOOK :P.

    ReplyDelete