4/2/10

The Encounter

Last Sunday I had a traumatic experience...

I was on a hike one day during this past summer. It was one of the most beautiful days that entire season and nothing seemed like it could go wrong. I was with my friends Daniel and Steven. We planned on going along this trail until we reached 'The Drop'. The Drop is not the actual name of this cliff it is just a name me and my friends gave it because of the certainty of death if you managed to fall off.

We made jokes as we plodded along the dirt trail. We made distinguished landmarks so we could find our way back. One such landmark was the Grim Reaper tree. The tree had a jutting out piece that looked like a hood and inside the 'hood' was a horribly disfigured face. To top it all off there was a hooked branch sticking out right beside the tree to make the look even more effective.

After passing the Reaper tree we came to a rock. This rock is henceforth known as Happy rock. Apparently some people passing the rock noticed its circular shape and decided to carve a happy face into it. Steven, when smiling, resembles the rock so much that we had to turn it into a landmark. We carved two angry eyebrows into the rock before we left as to add to the masterpiece.

Our third and final landmark before The Drop was The Trip. This is just a piece of the trail where it is almost impossible to not trip over the ground. First Steven tripped over a stick jutting out, then Daniel tripped over a random pot hole in the trail, then since I dodged all obstacles Daniel and Steven, as a team, forced me to trip.

There it was. The Drop was in our sights. Steven and Daniel took it slowly up to the cliff, but I, in my excitement, ran up to the top.

Crash!

I bumped into something and the next thing I knew all I heard was a distinct, "Ahh!" Apparently what I bumped into was another person and that person was now hurdling to their inevitable doom. I looked down in shock as Steven and Daniel walked up beside me.

Crunch!

Steven and Daniel looked at me and simultaneously said, "David! What the hell did you do!?" I, still with my mouth agape, just looked down in disbelief.

Daniel then put his hand on my shoulder and said that, "We should leave, no one will find out..." Steven then nodded his head and both of them pulled me along. As we passed The Trip none of us tripped. As we passed the Happy rock there was bird feces all along the face except for our addition. As we passed the Reaper tree we noticed that a woodpecker had taken a liking to the face. Our favourite spot and our landmarks had all been destroyed by a single encounter.

Daniel and Steven told me not to add this into my blog but I feel that if I don't the justice to this man will not be served. So I shall post this in full knowledge of the consequences. Today I had an encounter, this encounter ended in the result of a lost life. I am sorry...

No comments:

Post a Comment